Purpose, Passion and Excellence
As a rapidly growing company, we are looking for talented people who share our MCi values.
We are looking to expand our highly-motivated, fast-paced team in order to scale up our technology and advance our global commercialisation journey as we design and build our Carbon Plants across the world and help decarbonize industry (see roles below).
MCi Carbon (MCi) is a world leading and multi award winning Australian clean technology company transforming carbon dioxide (CO2) into building products and materials for the circular carbon economy. Based in Canberra, MCi Carbon has a technical headquarters in Newcastle, a global reference pilot plant at the Newcastle Institute of Energy and Resources (NIER) and will soon be building one of the world's first mineral carbonation demonstration plants at Orica's Kooragang Island manufacturing site, operational in 2024.
Founded in 2013, MCi’s proprietary mineral carbonation technology is a low-cost, low-pressure, low-energy chemical engineering process to transform CO2 emissions from industrial sources into solid materials for use in a range of products.
As industries transition away from fossil-fuel intensive manufacturing to achieve emission reduction goals and those of the Paris Climate Agreement, a range of new technologies will be developed and commercialised through 2050 and beyond. A role at MCi offers a unique opportunity to assist in the decarbonisation of industry with novel technology and to form collaborations and partnerships with proactive customers to make a real impact. MCi captures emissions from hard-to-abate industries, like steel, cement, fertilisers and mining, unlocking the value of carbon by creating valuable products and materials for the circular carbon economy.
MCi has received local and international recognition for its R&D, recently awarded the Circular Transition Award at the 34th National Banksia Sustainability Awards and the NSW Clean Technology Award. In 2021, MCi won first prize at the Clean Energy Start-up Pitch Battle at COP26 in Glasgow. Other global accolades include the 2018 Resource Innovator of the Year Award at the New Materials Summit in Berlin and being featured at the World Economic Forum Pioneers of Change Summit, building momentum as a global brand and a leader in carbon capture and utilisation (CCU).
Recently featured in Bloomberg, Forbes, and the Australian Financial Review, MCi CEO Marcus Dawe and COO Sophia Hamblin Wang were named in the 2022 and 2023 Top 100 Australian Green Power Players, published in The Australian.
***NEW*** PROCESS ENGINEER
Are you seeking a meaningful, impactful and purpose-driven role in a new emerging industry?
Join the passionate and talented team at MCi Carbon (“MCi”), an Australian based global clean tech shaping the new circular economy by reimagining carbon.
The position of Process Engineer will provide support to the principal process engineer to conduct scale-up activities related to the Company’s CO2 capture and utilisation technology, including detailed design of an industrial demonstration plant, scale up of the first commercial plant and assisting with feasibility studies related to deploying the technology at customer sites.
A role at MCi offers a unique opportunity to assist in the decarbonisation of industry with novel technology and to form collaborations and partnerships with proactive customers to make a real impact. MCi captures emissions from hard-to-abate industries, like steel, cement, fertilisers and mining, unlocking the value of carbon by creating valuable products and materials for the circular carbon economy.
MCi continues to be recognised as a global leader in mineral carbonation technology with the following awards, just a part of our recognition:
- '#1 CleanTech' at COP26 Clean Energy Start-up Pitch Battle in Glasgow from a field of 2700 global solutions - presented by Net Zero Technology Centre
- Resource Innovator of the Year 2018, New Materials Summit, Berlin
- Winner 'Circular Transition Award' - 34th National Banksia Sustainability Awards
- Winner "NSW Clean Technology Award" presented by The Banksia Foundation
- Winner "Technology Award" presented by The New York Times, T Australia
- Finalist "Energy Tech Challenger" - Decarbonizing Construction Materials
- 2022 Australia & New Zealand Climate Tech 100 (Holon IQ)
- Global Finalist Xtreme Tech Challenge 2022
Come join us on the path to net zero!
Role responsibilities and typical activities
The position will provide support to the principal process engineer to conduct scale-up activities related to the Company’s CO2 capture and utilisation technology, including detailed design of an industrial demonstration plant, scale up of the first commercial plant and assisting with feasibility studies related to deploying the technology at customer sites.
Work as part of the engineering team on the design, construction and commissioning of demonstration scale equipment including assisting with developing flowsheets, P&ID’s, equipment data sheets and equipment and vendor selection.
Assist in the development of process and equipment design for an industrial-scale plant from technology selection, options evaluations through to detailed design and operation.
Commission new process equipment and contribute to the demonstration plant testing and operating plan and assist with operations when required. Analyse pilot plant and demonstration plant data to characterise process performance and identify improvement opportunities.
Support company business development and funding activities by assisting in technoeconomic assessments for various industrial integration scenarios.
Required experience and skills
- Demonstrate a strong grasp of chemical engineering fundamentals including fluid mechanics, heat & mass transfer, and ability to perform complex calculations, develop equipment sizing and calculation tools
- Practical experience in chemical engineering process design (e.g. P&IDs equipment data sheets)
- Experience in equipment sizing and technology selection, commissioning and/or operating pilot plant or full-scale equipment
- An interest in new technology development and a demonstrated ability to deliver innovative solutions to new and complex problems
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Experience in the design, commissioning, or operation in one or more of the following would be highly desirable: Slurry handling, pumping, calcination/thermal treatment, hydrocyclones, filtration or gas-liquid contactors.
- Experience in process modelling, e.g. ASPEN, JKSimMet, or other.
- Experience in cost estimation or technoeconomic assessments
- Experience in supervision/management of contractors, fabricators and equipment suppliers
- Experience in the selection of process instruments and process control system functional design
- Degree in Chemical Engineering with minimum 1 year’s industry experience
- Degree in Chemical Engineering with postgraduate qualifications and/or > 10 year’s industry experience
- Chartered Professional Engineer
- Role to be adjusted dependent on the candidate’s experience
- This is a technical role with no direct reports
- Role and responsibilities to be adjusted dependent on the candidate’s experience
Position Reports to: Principal Process Engineer
Indirect Report: Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
To be eligible for employment you must be in Australia on a visa with work rights or be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE DECEMBER 22, 2023 - Please address all applications to: email@example.com